September 18th, 2022
Hello Franklin Families/Guardians,
It has truly been wonderful to have the students back in the schools. The energy they bring into the building truly energizes us, makes us smile, and keeps us on our toes!! Here are your reminders and updates for this week.
1. Students brought home student verification forms on Thursday. If not already returned, please return this on Monday after verifying that all the information is correct as contact information and emergency contact information needs to be accurate in case communication is required or an emergency occurs.
2. Plan of Care documents inform us on how your child needs to be cared for when they have major medical concerns such as significant allergies, diabetes, seizures, or other life threatening conditions. If your child had a Plan of Care last year, it would have been sent home last week. Please review this medical information and return on Monday if possible. If your child requires a Plan of Care, please complete the blank one that was provided to our new students or contact the office if you did not get one.
3. The School Council Meeting is this Thursday at 6:30 pm in the library. We have a Google Meet link if you want to join and hear what is happening.
4. A gentle reminder that if you are walking your children, or grandparents are walking them, no dogs/pets should be going onto the grounds at drop off or pick up time.
5. When children start going onto the junior play structure (closest one to the basketball court) at 9:05 am, we worry when young toddlers or young students are amongst these quicker, bigger bodies. For the safety of your younger children, if you could remove these young ones until students line up – it would be greatly appreciated.
6. As students leave Bradley St., and go down the walkway, they pass some swings, other structures, and a sandy area. Please note that this area is not supervised as it is not part of the school areas used. Please remind your children that they should be heading into supervised areas (their designated play areas) so that we can oversee them and keep them safe to the best of our abilities.
1. Please take the time to connect with your child’s classroom teacher if you were not able to see them at Meet the Teacher night. Having regular communication, focussed on getting positive updates or resolving concerns that come up, is essential to your child’s learning.
2. If you are unable to make alternative arrangements for your child to attend school when their school bus is cancelled, please call/email the school attendance line to report their absence. These absences due to bus cancellation will not reflect on their report card if reported by a guardian.
3. Please visit https://www.wrdsb.ca/ for the Upcoming Events section. There is a Committee of the Whole Meeting this Monday at 7 pm. You can join the livestream by using the following link.
4. Please visit https://www.wrdsb.ca/blog/2022/09/12/our-strategic-plan-hear-from-director-chanicka/ to hear from Director chanicka on the WRDSB Strategic Plan, Strategic Directions and what WRDSB wants students to become while engaging in the school/learning experiences.
5. Fearlessly YOU is offering a FREE after school program at Stanley Park Community Centre to promote positive body image and supportive friendships using physical activity, art, drama and team building.
Research shows that by Grade 5 girls start experiencing negative feelings about themselves and their confidence and self-esteem declines. Fearlessly YOU welcomes youth who identify as girl, non-binary, trans, and Two-Spirit to strengthen their self-esteem and confidence. This program runs for 8 weeks on Mondays from September 26 to November 28. Go to our website (https://ywkw.ca/fearlessly-
Please register here: https://ywcakw.wufoo.com/
Quote of the Week:
“It’s your reaction to adversity, not adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop.” (Dieter F. Uchtdorf)