May 8th, 2023
Good morning Franklin Families. Here are your reminders and updates for this week.
1. Bike to School Week is May 29 – June 2, 2023. “Bike to School Week inspires students to try riding a bike to school for the first time, to learn new skills, or to just have fun, explore, and connect with nature, the community, and people all while leaving cars at home.” Register with STSWR as children have a chance to win prizes. Student contest registration: https://bit.ly/BTSW_Student
2. Remember to check out https://www.wrdsb.ca/ or https://fra.wrdsb.ca/ for various school or board updates.
1. Kindergarten classes (with Mrs. Fisher’s guidance) did a wonderful job with this year’s Food Drive. Their goal was to fill 25 boxes and they filled 35 (the equivalent of 450 meals). The Kindergarten classes were truly excited about their endeavour and grateful for everyone’s help.
2. There is a Committee of the Whole meeting this Monday May 8th from 7 to 9 pm. Here is the link if you are interested in attending. https://www.youtube.com/c/WRDSBVideo/live
Here are some community updates for you.
3. The Program Coordinator for the Brain Injury Association Waterloo-Wellington would like us to share their bike helmet giveaway events. They “will provide free bicycle helmets to children in Kitchener who cannot otherwise afford them thanks to our generous sponsors Mcleish Orlando and the City of Kitchener.” Registration for a helmet is required. The link for this is: The link for the registration form is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-q3SkDIX-VdCxVgG4Uv4RRij4nb8pdn_f2xjkAiSzzeVPuw/viewform. Please note that, this “event will be located in the parking lot of Laurentian Zehrs parking lot located at 750 Ottawa St S, Kitchener between 9am and 2pm.”
4. Public Works Week in Kitchener is from May 21st to May 27th. If interested, here is a family event to join in on. Family Fun Night at the Kitchener Operations Facility on Wednesday May 24th from 6 pm to 8 pm. There will be vehicles and equipment, fun activities and games, and a behind the scenes look at how some services are delivered in our community. For more information and to register, visit https://www.kitchener.ca/en/news/public-works.aspx
5. The Kitchener-Waterloo Special Olympics Open House – May 26, 2023 and parents, teachers and students are invited to the Kitchener-Waterloo Special Olympics open house on May 26.
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Location: KW Habilitation Bollas Hall (Main Floor) 99 Ottawa St. S
Parents, Teachers, & Students can learn about KW Special Olympics sports activities available in the community or talk with our Special Olympics athletes or volunteer coaches. For more information contact Donna Maccallum at firstname.lastname@example.org
Quote of the Week:
“A beautiful thing happens when we start paying attention to each other. It is by participating more in your relationship [with children, a partner, family, etc.] that you breathe life into it.” (Dr. Steve Maraboli)